This paste gives anything it touches an immediate umami transformation. I use it in burgers and meatloaf (about 1T per pound). But my favorite thing to do with it is to score a skirt steak, rub it in paste, let it sit for an hour or so, and cook it on the grill with high heat!
- 10T (1 6oz can) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup plus 2T Red Boat Fish Sauce
- 2T + 2t onion powder
- 2T + 2t granulated garlic
- 2T porcini mushroom powder (ground dried porcini mushrooms)
- 1T red wine vinegar
- 1/3 c store-bought olive tapenade (or *use about 1/3 cup kalamata olives and an additional 1t red vinegar)
- 1/3 c finely grated parmesan (optional)
- Blend all of the ingredients in a food processor. Store in the fridge. Use it everywhere.